- Evangelical conservative blogger
- Pro to the question "Should Churches (Including Mosques, Synagogues, etc.) Remain Tax-Exempt?"
“I would argue that subjecting churches to property taxes is a bad idea. The excesses of some Christian merchants aside, Churches are not profit-making entities. Many smaller churches struggle to make monthly expenses like salary and mortgage. Subjecting churches to property taxes would be a major burden on many smaller churches already struggling to get by and would therefore be a restriction on religious freedom…
Some have complained that it is ‘unconstitutional’ to exempt churches (or mosques, synagogues, temples, and so forth) from taxation. It isn’t. So long as government does not show favoritism by picking and choosing which religions (or denominations) to exempt and which to tax, there is no ‘respecting an establishment of religion’ and therefore no Constitutional problem…
Finally, despite the claims of some, exempting churches from taxation is not the same as a subsidy. If I do not take $10 from your wallet, I am not ‘giving’ you $10 – I am letting you keep what is yours. (Or in the case of churches, what was donated.) If I hand you a $10 bill and you place it in your wallet, that is a subsidy. Church members are already taxes [sic], both on income and property so there is no need to tax the money twice.”
“Should Churches Pay Taxes?,” ConservaTibbs.com, June 24, 2009
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals and organizations that do not fit into the other star categories.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Evangelical conservative blogger at ConservaTibbs.com
- Has campaigned for the Monroe County Taxpayers Association, Monroe County Right to Life, and the Republican Party
- Co-founder, Hoosier Review, Jan. 1997
- Former opinion columnist, Indiana Daily Student
- Former officer, IU (Indiana University) College Republicans, IU Students for Life, and Student Alliance for Responsible Research
- Member, Clearnote Church of Bloomington, IN
- Graduated, Indiana University, 1998
- Graduated, Grace Baptist Academy, Angola, IN, 1992
- Contact Info:
- Cancer survivor, 1997
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Should Churches (Including Mosques, Synagogues, etc.) Remain Tax-Exempt?